December 28, 2011

Holiday treats are one of my favorite things of the season.  I love all the chocolates, caramels, cookies, homemade candies and breads...who doesn't?  My favorite is the ginormous box of assorted chocolates.  And guess what?  The rest of my family doesn't really like the chewy, creamy, nutty, or fruity fillings, but to me, they are just right.  So I eat the whole box.  It's not healthy, (and I usually regret it afterwards and vow to eat healthier in the new year), but it sure is fun.

The best treats though are the ones that come from neighbors and friends. There's nothing better than coming home and finding a plate full of cookies and toffee on the porch.  I love this neighborly tradition, but it seems like people are losing it.  Is it just me or are you getting less neighbor treats?  When I was a kid, we knew exactly who was going to bring plates of treats, and what they would bring. It always felt so good to know the neighbors were thinking of you and wanted to spread some holiday cheer.

As much as I like this tradition, I'm guilty of not always following it.  Life is so busy during the holidays.  You know how it is.  This year though I wanted to do something.  My mom always made cinnamon roll wreaths. They were amazing and so much fun to make, and I thought about baking some myself this year.  But they are way too time consuming for my life right now. 

I'm all about simple and easy these days.  These two delicious treats are just that. 

Holiday treat #1:


Chocolate dipped oreos are so, so simple to make.  They are one of those things that kills me to pay up the yin yang for at chocolate shops, and yet I still do it...becausethey are that good. 


Ingredients:
1. Chocolate chips. Any kind- semi-sweet (my fave), milk chocolate, or white chocolate.
2. Oreos.  Lots and lots of oreos.


Here's what to do:
1. Lay out a long piece of wax paper for drying.
2. Melt chocolate chips in microwave.  Deep, narrow containers work best.
3. Dip oreo half way into melted chocolate. 
4. Shake off excess chocolate.
5. Place oreo on wax paper.
6. Repeat process until oreos or chocolate are gone.


They are so very easy, and so very irresistible.

*********

Easy treat #2 are these crunchy sweet almonds. They are a little more involved, but still very easy.





Ingredients:
4 cups whole almonds
Butter (to grease pans)
1 egg white
1/3 cup white sugar
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp vanilla
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt


Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spread almonds in single layer on baking pan. Bake 8 to 10 minutes until lightly toasted.  Remove from oven and cool completely (about 30 minutes).  Reduce oven temp to 300 degrees F. Generously grease 2 baking pans. In a large bowl whisk egg white until foamy. Whisk in sugars, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt.  Stir in almonds and toss until well coated.  Divide nuts between pans, spreading out in a single layer.  Bake for 10 minutes.  Remove from oven, stir, and separate nuts. Return to oven and bake another 10-12 minutes, until nuts are pale golden brown and appear dry.  Remove from oven and let sit for 3 to 5 minutes.  When nuts begin to harden, quickly loosen them from pan with a metal spatula, and spread out on wax paper to finish cooling.  Store in airtight container up to 1 week.




Enjoy these easy holiday treats. You will love them, and your neighbors will love you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment