September 15, 2011

Don't call it a come back

I've been debating in my head how to start posting again on this blog.
Do I need to explain my leave of absence? Or do I just jump right in and pretend the last 6 months didn't pass without one. single. post.
In my very first post I made this noble speech about committing to the blog, posting faithfully, and making it my space. Blah blah blah.  Blah blah.  My real life, says it's not the right time.
Casual, yes.
Committed, no.
Sounds like a bad relationship doesn't it?  Well that's as much of an explanation I'm giving. It's probably more than is needed 'cause who's reading this anyway?

The other day I decided to check out my blog as if I was a real reader and you know what?  That last post I did about the lemon chicken with play dough in it?  Disgusting. It makes my stomach turn every time I even think about it. So it's been bugging me ever since, thinking that if someone did actually read my blog, that would be the last thing they would see and remember.  Gross.

Hopefully this will leave a better taste in your mouth.

A couple of years ago I was given a case of sweetened condensed milk. Very generous of the friends that gave it to me, and very yummy, but that's a lot.  I mean what do you do with a case of it?  There's my year supply of that product.

I remembered sitting on a train in China watching some friends open a can of that sweet milk, but they had made it into caramel. How?  By boiling the can.  What?  Did you know you could do that?  So with my case of milk, I figured I could spare a couple of cans to experiment.  And I'm so glad I did.  Oh my gosh.  It makes delicious creamy caramel, awesome for dipping apples in.  What is better than crisp caramel apples on a crisp  autumn day?

Here's what you do.  Take your can of sweetened condensed milk and remove the label.  Submerge the entire can in boiling water for 3 hours.  Now the water is going to boil down, so you will need to add more boiling water.  Don't add cool water, add boiling water so that the milk continues to boil the entire 3 hours.  I keep a second pot of water simmering on the stove ready to be added to my milk pot.

After three hours you will have caramel, but don't plan on eating it right away.  Please let the can of milk cool completely before you open it, otherwise if will explode and you will have boiling hot caramel on your body and all over your kitchen. (FYI- I have not actually experienced this, just read about it on line. Safety first.)
I like to boil my cans in the evening and let them cool overnight.

There you have it.  The easiest caramel dip in the world.  Now go try that and stop thinking about lemon play dough chicken.

1 comment:

  1. I was wondering about the amount of Sweetened Condense milk you had, that is awesome.

    ReplyDelete