February 2, 2011

Green Smoothie

 A friend of mine recently recommended I try green smoothies made with spinach leaves and berries.  She loves them and her kids love them.  Which to me is amazing, because my kids start to short circuit at the sight of anything remotely resembling the color green in their food.  

I was skeptical, but willing to try it; I like to think of myself as adventurous when it comes to food.  So yesterday I decided I was up for this food adventure and I tried it.  

My little one stopped "washing" the dishes and watched me intently as I stuffed the spinach leaves, yogurt, and blueberries into the magic bullet smoothie glass (which I  love and highly recommend).   She asked what that green stuff was. I didn't know what to say; she had caught me red  green handed.  So I just ignored her for a minute trying to come up with some whimsical explanation as to why mommy was putting green stuff in the smoothie.  That didn't work.  She asked again and I said, "huh", as if I didn't here her.  She asked again.  This time I said it was yummy stuff to make the smoothie good.  Lame, I know, but I was put on the spot.

At that point I started blending.  And the color got really weirdish brown. But my taste buds were excited- ready to partake. And then they did.  And you know what....it was not my favorite thing.  I really didn't care for the weird leafy after taste.
So I...

...I politely offered some to the little one thinking she would flat out refuse, but she surprised me.  She took it and loved it.  I took a couple more obligatory draws through the giant slurpee straw, then passed it on to her.  




No comments:

Post a Comment